Running since 2007 PHAZE is the only legal urban art project in Perth which offers young people the chance to 'freepaint' with aerosols at different sites throughout the City, all of which is done under the guidance and mentoring of professional Urban Artists. PHAZE was created after a group of young people approached the City in 2007 looking for a legal space to paint. They submitted a petition calling for a legal painting wall and after negotiations with the City’s Youth Development team, PHAZE came into being.
- Since 2007 PHAZE has had over 1000 attendances by young people across the 3 skate parks and walls within the City of Melville;
- PHAZE continues to be the only ongoing and regular legal urban art project in Western Australia. Young people come from all over and sometimes outside the metropolitan area to participate;
- Prior to the implementation of PHAZE graffiti removal was occurring on skate parks approximately 1 – 3 times per week and reports of anti-social behaviour were frequent. Graffiti removal on the PHAZE painted sites has now been reduced to almost 0%.
- PHAZE supports positive mentoring, youth participation and alternative pathways through the provision of a professional Urban Artist who introduces participants to the possibilities of an arts related vocation and educates them around the consequences of engaging in “risky” behaviours.
- A number of PHAZE participants have gone on to work in the Arts or a creative field such as sign-writing, graphics and design with some becoming nationally and internationally renown Artists in their own right.
- PHAZE participants come from the general community, referrals through the justice system, alternative pathway services and educational institutions.
- PHAZE was highly commended in the – excellence in community engagement and participation category of the 2015 National Awards for Local Government
PHAZE returns at the end of September and it's your chance to work with professional Urban Artist Dan Duggan to paint your designs.
When: Sunday, 30 September 2018, 10.30am - 3.00pm
Venue: Leeming Skate Park, Farrington Road, Leeming
Visit www.melvillecity.com.au/phaze for more information or to register.