According to Next Avenue, "many boomers and Gen X’ers charged with disposing the family heirlooms, it seems, are unprepared for the reality and unwilling to face it". As it turns out, families are left unsure what to do with all the stuff.
We've stumbled across a few articles which may help with decluttering and deciding what to keep for the kids:
- Sorry, Nobody Wants Your Parents' Stuff - Advice for boomers desperate to unload family heirloom
- How to Know If Your Parents' Stuff Has Value - An heir's guide to furniture, china. glassware, art and more
- 10 Things You Should Save for Your Kids - These small sentimental items will be treasured
- The '4 Boxes' Approach to Helping Elderly Parents - The process can help seniors reduce clutter, boost savings and unite the family
- The Heavy Burden of What To Do with a Family Heirloom