Next year marks the 50th anniversary of Melville becoming a City. As part of this recognition, the Museum staff are in research and preparation mode to curate a ’50 Years 50 Objects’ exhibition.
We are seeking something for each year from 1968 to 2018. We are desperately searching for photos, documents, ephemera, etc of old businesses, clubs and places such as:
- Booragoon Tavern
- Willagee Hotel
- Cunningham St Jetty (aka German Jetty)
- Melway Drive-in
- Teneriffe Picture Gardens (now 777 Pharmacy, Riseley Street)
- KFC store on cnr North Lake Rd and Canning Hwy, Perth’s first fast food outlet!
- Sommerville Pine Plantation & fire lookouts
- Majestic Hotel (prior to demolition in 1989)
- Tom the Cheap stores
- Boans in Melville and Garden City
- Sunday sessions at the Raffles, etc
- Establishment of Murdoch University
- Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Local schools
- Sporting facilities
Images of the development of the newer suburbs such as Bull Creek, Leeming, Kardinya, Booragoon, Winthrop & Murdoch are also materials we hope to capture.
You can submit your memories below or in person at Wireless Hill Museum.
For more information please call 9364 0158.